Tuesday, October 4, 2022

IWSG - October

 It's the first Wednesday in October so it's time for the Insecure Writers Support Group!


The awesome co-hosts for the October 5 posting of the IWSG are Tonja Drecker, Victoria Marie Lees, Mary Aalgaard, and Sandra Cox!


This month's question:

What do you consider the best characteristics of your favorite genre?

My genre of choice is YA contemporary and the best thing about it is how diverse it is as a genre.  There are no limits to the stories that can be told in this space, from sweet, fluffy romance to dark and dirty stories about abuse and addiction.  The characters can come from any culture, and sexual orientation and their problems can be as small or as large as a writer is willing to imagine.

And the books can be written in any style the writer wishes to write - first person present tense, third person past tense or even second person!  They can be books in verse or told through letters or even text messages!  

I like the way characters in this age group are doing things for the first time and that they are still trying to figure out who they are and what they want in life.  Often this changes through the course the book as the character learns things about the world and themselves.  I don't often see such big character arcs in adult novels I read because adults tend to be more settled into their beliefs about themselves and their world.

What is the best thing about your favorite genre?


4 comments:

  1. I like YA for a lot of the reasons you've mentioned. I also really enjoy middle grade. I like writing and reading for both age groups.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the YA genre for all those reasons, too. Some of the best books I've read recently have been YA.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I'd had books like this when I was that age. YA is an awesome genre to span that gap between childrens and adult fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love YAs. Though, I tend to lean toward dystopian and paranormal.

    ReplyDelete