Thursday, October 17, 2013

Tag! You're It!


Well, I've been tagged by my friend, fellow writer and sometimes critique partner, the lovely Allyson Lindt.  This is a simple blog hop.  I answer a few questions, then tag three more people.  So here goes....
blog-hop-two

The Questions

What are you working on right now?
I've actually just finished doing a revision of The Boyfriend Plague for my editor.  When I got the publishing contract for that one, I was about 2/3 of the way through a new book, so I'll go back to that one now.  It's a YA about a girl who has grown up behind bars.  Now she's 18, she's been let out with a new identity and a chance to have a normal life.  When she goes to work at a summer resort and meets the gorgeous Lana, she discovers how hard it is to keep secrets and fall in love.
How does it differ from other works in its genre?
All my books deal with difficult situations and complex characters. This one is no different.  There are also blurred lines around what's right and wrong and my characters always have to make difficult decisions within this gray area.
Why do you write what you do?
I don't feel like I have a lot of choice.  Once a story idea grabs me, it usually won't let go until I fully explore it.  But usually I want to, because exploring peoples' minds, analyzing why they make the choices they do and discovering the consequences is so much fun.
How does your writing process work?
I always start with just a nugget of an idea.  Usually a character or a single plot point.  Then I think about it for a long time, layering on details until I feel like I have something resembling a narrative.  Often it's a single scene, so I write that and if it works, I can then move on and write more.  I don't write books in order. I often start at the end, or somewhere in the middle.  Then I fill in the blanks as I go.

And now, I’m tagging…

tag-youre-it

5 comments:

  1. This book sounds very interesting! And I can understand about a story idea grabbing you. As a writer, you just have to go with the ideas that seize you and refuse to let go, because they're often the best ones.

    You also tagged some excellent and deserving bloggers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tag!

    That sounds like a great book. My ideas start off small too, and then snowball.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw the title of your blog post and wondered how I had gone so long without getting tagged. Well, I guess that's over! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I had to choose the people who regularly comment over here because you're all awesome!

      Delete
  4. I love the cute frog on the banner! Congrats on the tag and thank you for not picking me - no offense. ;)

    ReplyDelete