Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Common mistakes part 3 or 4....

Yes, here's another installment of 'common mistakes I see while reading.'

This one's a doozy because it's a 3 way one.

Peak - it's the top of something, a mountain, the highest point. "The temperature is at its peak around midday."  Or, "We climbed the mountain until we reached its peak."

Peek - a sneaky little look at something.  "I took a peek at the candy hidden under the counter."

Pique - it's anger, but usually fairly mild or irrational anger.  "He stormed off in a fit of pique."  Interestingly, this can also be used to mean you're intrigued, "The story piqued my interest."

I keep seeing these three being mixed up and it irritates me.  So I thought I'd just do a helpful public service by clearing that one up....


3 comments:

  1. These three are definitely tricky. I'm really good at picking up mistakes in writing and sometimes these slip right by me. Thanks for pointing out the correct usage of each. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's hilarious. I have to think if I've made that mistake before...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just wish the people that need these public service announcements read your blog.

    ReplyDelete